Hello! I don’t seem to have posted for a while, but this is definitely not because of a lack of things to write about, more a problem of time. Being unemployed I often get asked how I don’t have time, and I’ll be honest, between knitting, sewing, volunteering at a nature reserve, spending time with my partner/family/friends and doing various music and dance things, time has this habit of running away very fast. But anyway, I’m posting for your delight now!
I always have a variety of knitting and crochet projects ongoing at any one time, and I have mentally put them into classes:
Class 1: Small items which take one sitting to complete (e.g. toy shrimps and other small toys)
Class 2: Medium items which take a few sittings to complete (e.g. socks and larger toys such as my hedgehog)
Class 3: Gifts which must be completed by a certain date and therefore have priority
Class 4: Large items which will take time (e.g. blankets, scarves etc.)
Class 5: Any size item which has got boring for whatever reason
Today I’m going to tell you about one of my class 5 projects that is finally finished! Back in June I started a toe up sock on double pointed needles. I did the toe, and then got bored trying to make the stocking stitch foot part reach the heel. It got put in the long term WIP box and partially forgotten about. I think it was last Friday that I wanted a project that I could do easily while recovering from a week away so I picked up my sock again. Within a couple of days I had turned the heel and finished the first sock! It fit and I have been very feverishly knitting away to finish the second sock so I have a pair! So now I have my first pair of knitted socks, and I’m wondering why it took me so long to complete and I already love them! I’ve also got some nice wool lined up ready for some more socks!
For anyone interested, its just a simple pattern I used: a crochet provisional cast on, short rows for the toe, plain stocking stitch to the heel, short row heel, more stocking stitch to the cuff and knit 3 purl 3 ribbing for the cuff. Pretty simple, easy to follow and make – just got boring at one point! The hardest part was casting the cuff off loosely!
The yarn is Patons Fab DK.